No sewing, no seams, no stitches. That’s seamless. A specific knitting technology that uses specialized circular looms to develop garments that adapt perfectly to the body, making people forget that they are actually wearing them.
I will share some benefits in this article that make seamless garments the most popular fabric in the sports industry.
- Based on the structure of the knit, the patterns and construction of the garment cannot be matched with any other non-seamless garment, and the ability to combine textures and levels of compression opens up endless possibilities for colored patterns, jacquards, ribbing, and detailing.
- There are endless design possibilities with seamless technology, with the variety of different stitches that can be achieved within a single garment, for example, a jersey knit can be placed side-by-side with a mesh knit, a rib knit, a jacquard knit. This is impossible to do with any other type of knitting process.
- Unlike a regular knitting machine, which produces yards of the same pattern that need to be cut and sewn, the seamless machines produce individual garments from yarn that is fed into the machine-Retails for about 10–15 percent more, because of the specialized equipment involved and the high demand for such limited availability of machinery.
- This benefit is worthy of a price increase, meaning certain parts of the knitting/apparel category such as the intimate, activewear market can be justified due to the above-listed benefits since some of its features cannot be accomplished in conventional circular knitting or cut & sew method.
- The garments are precisely fitted to the body, producing a smoother, clean look.
- Seamless garments conform smoothly to your individual shape and produce fewer lines underclothes to allow for a more streamlined silhouette.
- The softness of seamless knitwear combined with the use of antimicrobial and hydrophilic yarns create the best features for an activewear garment.
- Wearers love seamless garments because they are forgiving, non-restrictive, and are not binding. The lack of seams provides for improved comfort as the body moves.
- Seamless garments feature knitted shaping to eliminate bulky elastics and provide enhanced comfort. All of which are highly elastic, fine to very fine fabric, made of micro-fibers, required to be very extensible and soft; therefore adding to comfort.
Quality and Durability:
- Seamless garments have no waistband failures, no waistband or side seam failures, and are more durable due to the high proportion of manufactured fibers such as nylon.
- With seamless production, there is no fabric. One Italian machine can make the entire product in just minutes, and the machine automatically knits components like waistbands and hems.
- Seamless garments take 30 percent to 40 percent less time to make than a cut-and-sew version minimizes the traditional labor-intensive step of cutting and sewing.